An awning or overhang is a covering attached to the wall of a building. The awning is typically made of canvas woven of acrylic, cotton or polyester yarn, or vinyl layered to polyester fabric that is pulled tightly over the construction of aluminum, iron or steel, possibly wood or transparent material.
The configuration of this construction is something of a space frame, truss, or planar frame. Awnings are often constructed of aluminum with aluminum sheeting. These aluminum awnings are often used when a fabric awning is not possible where snow load and wind loads might damage them. Manufactured home awnings add value to your manufactured or modular home and add the comfort and nice look to your modular home.
Why you need Awnings for a Modular Home
Awnings will decrease the heat gain when cooling is necessary and improve your heat gain during cold times of the year. Awnings can help you support good heat gain through the winter because residential awnings can guard your home from nighttime radiation which extracts heat from the home.
- Expanding the comfortable space of your modular home
- Shielding your deck or patio furniture from different weather mishaps
- Bringing a new style and look to the Modular Home
Below is a complete guide on the best awnings for your modular homes and the important factors to keep in mind when choosing the best awning on the market. Before going further first, let’s take at a quick glance at the types of awnings that are available.
The Types Of Awnings for your Modular Home Stationary awnings
These are covers that are installed forever on the exterior of your home. They are stronger and stable, but are prone to snow and rainwater accumulation and wavering under the heavy gusts of wind. You need to hire a skilled professional to install these stationary awnings.
Retractable: Retractable awnings are probably the most installed awnings. They can easily be folded or rolled. Hence, you need not worry about the strong winds and storm damage. Their portability makes them the best option for modular homes.
Portable These are transportable awnings built for ease. The portable awnings are freestanding, you can move them from one place to another place in your modular home. Some of these portable awnings are planned in such a way that they can support the east-west trajectory of the sun.
Motorized: These awnings even support a limited level of automation. You can roll them these motorized awnings an electric mechanism or a remote-control device if you don’t want to get wet during rainfall. Canvas is the most often used material for manufacturing awnings. This is because it is inexpensive, resilient, and flexible – the three features you want in any retractable unit.
However, the downside of this canvas is its flexibility, which allows the accumulation of snow and rainwater on it, which adds additional weight that may pose a safety hazard. You can decrease the likelihood of such by hiring an experienced professional who will stretch it tight enough to avoid buildup.
Metals are an alternative to canvas. Although they are impressively strong, they are heavy and can be installed by a professional. Also, they absorb too much heat but they are supposed to reflect it into the atmosphere.
Why Do You Need Awnings for your Modular Home? Enhanced curb appeal
Awnings look fabulous on a modular home. Installing these stylish awnings can transform your home from a boring mobile home into an elegant home. So, if you are preparing to sell your home, adding awnings is a great way to add a few dollars to your property price. Stretch the outdoor living space.
There is no better way of spreading the livable space of your home and building an all-weather environment like attaching awnings. If you need a smart patio for relaxing with your family or shade for any purpose. The better way to keep off summer sun and the winter snow.
Awnings are one of the best ways to winter snow and hot summer sun. The materials used for making the awnings, such as Canvas or plastic, offer an impressive shield against UV rays and are repellent to dirt and hot. So, if you are looking to relax outdoors irrespective of the season, you may consider the awnings. Regulated cooling costs.
A significant amount of the heat tends to seep into your home through these windows, doors, and eaves through the hot summer weather. When the heat builds up inside, it will compel you to leave the air conditioner operating for prolonged times this in turn raises the energy bills With the appropriate awnings in place, the amount of heat jumping into your home is reduced because they aren’t much cooling needed. Installing these awnings to your home increase the living space and also adds a conservatory or extension.
How To Choose The Perfect Awning For Your Modular Home
There are several factors you need to consider when choosing an awning. Knowledge of those factors would assist you to choose a commodity that meets your needs but also gives value for money. Check these below factors that will help you to choose your Awning. What are your needs? The benefits of awnings are huge. They help you to increase your living area, shield you from hot sun and winter snow.
It can be used for any purpose, they are specific awnings for specific tasks. Evaluate your needs to choose the right and appropriate one that fits your need. How to choose the design of the awning?
Your guests will check the design and various other features of your awning first. So select the design of your awning carefully, as it will reflect your taste.
Additionally, you require to be aware of the advantages and defects of the design of your selected design. The ability of the awning to resist strong winds and the tendency to hold the rainwater and snow on the top is mostly based on the design.
So rather than design choose the need and make sure your selected design serves the purpose better. Check the fabric or material utilized to manufacture the awning? The type of fabric used to make the awning has a great impact on various aspects. Metallic awnings, that are not so popular, provide stable protection against storms and snow.
The disadvantage with these metallic awnings is they get too hot during the warm weather. Vinyl and Polyester Composite fabrics give strength and are very much waterproof. The vinyl fabric stays fixed on the frame and is naturally fire retardant. The material is thin and flexible. The composite offers versatility and flexibility for residential as well as commercial applications.
On the other hand, Acrylic fabrics are more long-lasting than traditional cotton blend canvas. Awnings made with these fabrics offer an appealing design and repel water but they are not waterproof. Acrylic fabric awnings are great for modern homes located in these humid areas; they resist ultraviolet light wear and tear.
The choice of the material is a great factor to influence the cost. So choose your need and understand the various advantages and disadvantages of it before buying Other most commonly used materials for the awning are PVC covered polyester, acrylic-coated polyester, canvas, plain vinyl, and laminated vinyl.
Most of the awnings are coming with the warranty. Warranty is another sign of the manufacturer’s confidence in its products. You should purchase the awning that is coming with a good warranty. In general, the warranty is given for around 3 years. For some products, the manufacturer is giving around 5 years of warranty
Whether the awning is Standard or retractable? Standard awnings are fixed and will remain as you installed them Retractable awnings, can be adjusted. With this advantage, retractable awnings are flexible and are an attractive option compared to many standard options. But these all depend on the purpose, why you are buying these awnings. If you are looking to buy retractable awnings, you also have to choose between motorized or manual options available in the retractable awnings
The cost of the awning: There are a wide variety of awnings available in the market for your modular home that might perfectly fit your need The other cost that you need to consider is the installation cost. Additionally, operational and supporting costs are also important to think.
What are your climatic conditions?
You need to understand the climate conditions of your residence and choose the right As mentioned before, different types of awnings come with different levels of flexibility under various weather conditions. There is no point in installing metallic awnings if you are living in the humid and temperature regions. Installing cotton-based awnings is not a great idea if your area is prone to strong winds and frequent storms.
Choose the color and size of your Awning
- The awning color should perfectly match with your modern home color. This should like a part of your home and should sync with the colors. If you are inclined to any particular design, check it is matching with your home or not.
- Size is another important aspect to check before finalizing your awning. It should be too big or too small, it should be the perfect size to protect your home with hot summer and cold winters from external agents. Also, the awning should give you a pleasant view.
Home Awnings – Recommendations
Below are some awnings which we find more reasonable.
- ADVANCING Motorized Retractable Patio Awning Motorized retractable awning from ADVANCING is more suitable for your balcony or porch. It should be one of your preferences if you are looking for an awning that can append a character to your porch.
- ADVANCING avails this awning in 6 distinctive patterns and shades, these are made from 100 percent Dyed Acrylic Solution on Canvas, you can be assured that it won’t disappear under a bright sun. Not just that, but they are mildew and mold resistant because the texture is designed to release much of the heat it consumes. Retraction is accomplished through either manual or electric motor.
- Outsunny Retractable Manual Patio Awning If you have a set budget but looking for good options to improve the outdoor relaxation area, You can this awning. This is a fully manual, which suggests you will be cranking it with a long hand crank.
The cover is made of polyester, while the coating is of PU waterproofing substance. The PU coated polyester can stand up to the rain, sun, and dust.
- AECOJOY Retractable Sun Shade Patio Awning This is one of the excellent options you could want for your stucco or sidings. The manufacturer sends it with everything you want to attach it to the wooden walls of your Modern home as well as concrete walls without incurring extra costs. This awning comes with a 4′ hand crank, which is long enough to maneuver and open the awning.
- ALEKO Retractable Awning for Patios This Retractable combines features like eco-friendliness, affordability, and flexibility. This is fully manual and you don’t need to think about power consumption.
- If you are looking for more coverage, you can opt from two large sizes, and from 15 distinct color options, perhaps the various color options can be found.
- This comes with 100% water-and-UV-resistant polyester fabric that provides much-needed protection from various nature.
- The only shortcoming is, it comes with a warranty for only 1 year. There are many alternatives on the market with more extended warranties. But if you are looking for a reliable and flexible awning. You can check this one. Conclusion If you are planning to sell your Modular home, adding these few awnings increase the value of your home significantly. They are incredibly a super way to increase the values of your home.
- Whatever be your choice of awning for your modern home stationary, motorized, retractable, or portable awnings, you need to put all these factors into consideration before choosing them Make your modern home more beautiful and comfortable with perfect and compatible Awnings.